Wednesday, October 17, 2007

it's the sound of the toilet flushing

So, you think you can change the rules of our "friendship" and get mad at me for not getting it right? And what, do you expect me to come running back to you? You came to me every time, every interaction, but now I have to call you, is that it?

I wouldn't care except I never got the chance to tell you what a jerk you were, how you thought everything I did was weird, so I slowly just stifled myself and quieted my voice until there was nothing but you and you still weren't satisfied. And of course, now you're blaming it on me, cause it's never your fault.

That you have the gall to be pissed is unbelievable. It always was.

You approached me many years ago when I was still gullible enough to think that people were good and kind and decent and that even though every fiber of my being was screaming about how awful you were, I still thought you deserved my friendship because you wanted it. You wanted me.

You told a person you barely knew that she was your best friend in Chicago. And then you proceeded to demand everything you could with a twist of the head, with a critical tongue, with such extreme entitlement that I was afraid to say no.

I helped you move, I babysat for your child (for free [!]), I talked you down from so many ledges, I listened to all of your bullshit and ate it up. I even let the father of your child stay in my home for a week and all you had to say about it was some smart ass comment about you and I not talking in two months. You couldn't just be gracious and appreciative, you had to be a jerk. And I knew it all along but I felt stuck in being wanted and being nice and then I just stayed stuck.

Even though you may not be book smart, you do pay attention and recently, you'd realized that I have new friends who I am myself around, friends that I have exchanges with, friends who I look forward to seeing, friends that I enjoy spending time with. They are not critical and full of "helpful" suggestions. They let me make my mistakes, they may have opinions but they don't kill me with them, and they would help me out no matter what if I needed help.

That you wouldn't help me when I needed you, when I asked you for help, that I had to beg you and you complied and then you turned your smiling face around and made fun of me, after all I've done for you, well that was the last thing I could take. After that, I made no secret about my dislike, I would not agree to hang out with you and I will never spend time with you again.

Standing around pointing out the small and large mistakes (which are usually just your brand of "common sense") committed by everyone else may provide you a temporary respite from your own fuck-ups, but it also brands you as someone to avoid. Good luck with that.

No comments: