Sunday, October 21, 2007

the hunt for red velvet:

I get into these food moods where I basically want to eat something and in the vain search for that precise flavor, I will hunt and be disappointed, I will resist the temptation (which only increases the determination) and I will finally satisfy it or move on to something else.

Last week it was the sabinas frijoles from Nuevo Leon. It is the world's best bean dip. It begins with a layer of refried beans, melted chihuhua cheese, and diced tomatoes, covered by chunky strands of onions. As if this wasn't enough, the entire plate is then placed in the oven for optimum flavor mingling. This appetizer dish is so wonderful that I am often tempted not to eat anything else.

The red velvet cupcake is my current obsession. A visit to Eatzi's started it, but their cupcake was drier than a towel left in the sun. A couple days later, at Bittersweet, I reluctantly chose a chocolate cupcake with buttercream frosting and spied a red velvet just sitting on the counter! Not presented as an option, I was torn between eating the chocolate sitting in front of me or asking for the red velvet. Another disappointment ensued.

My last day at Siena is Wednesday and my only request of my coworker (who is also a fantastic baker) was red velvet cupcakes. In order to make my quest even more ridiculous, I asked that they be mini cupcakes.

I know that they will be moist and delicious and that my coworker will not disappoint me and I only have to wait a few more days to have that taste that my brain cannot forget...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Happy last day of work!

stine said...

Thanks for the glee!